Wednesday, September 12, 2012

So we're almost in week 3 in TV Columbia College Land...

and things probably feel crazed already.  So let's have some highlights of Life in TV to lighten things up!

If you've read the last post you know I'm an experimental foodie.  Try Beaver's Donut truck--they're in the South Loop every Wednesday 7-11am and have fresh, hot, killer mini-donuts that can get you through at least your first class. Tell them you're Columbia TV and that I sent you and encourage them to therefore give me extra donuts! (I had chocolate sauce with sprinkles today and nutella with strawberry jam is next on my agenda...)  http://beaversdonuts.com/

Now on to other things of import...

If you're in TV and not involved yet with the student organization, find out about TVAS! Contact Christy LeMaster to get involved (clemaster@colum.edu); not only is she lovely as our Student Activities Coordinator, she brings in cool guests with real world experience to give you advice in a demanding media market. This group does a lot for the department and their meetings have started this week--and I can tell you they get a lot of "preference" for gigs that get them exposure to professionals, material for reels, etc.

But now to TV proper.  I'd love to hear your 2 cents.  I so was underwhelmed with The Mindy Project---might be my age and generation, but I found her way too whiny and boy-obsessed for my liking.  I love Mindy K--but actually felt she was the weak link in the pilot.

Liked the Matthew Perry "Go On" pilot--but omg did the 2nd ep not do it for me!  Bit of a mess...too bad, given the stellar cast.

DO check out The New Normal--NBC has done something nice here based on 2 episodes so far.  Funny, warm--Modern Family-ish but (and I love MF, but...) with less upper-middle-class issues and more down-to-earth "there are other classes of folks" sensibility--which is why I like and recommend The Middle. With NN, courtesy of Ellen Barkin, Ryan Murphy is offering some  ribald Arrested Dev.-like absurdity--and a Mary Cherry cameo for fans of Popular...

Still have to watch Revolution On Demand--looks promising, but then look what happened with "The Event..." Am definitely looking more forward to Revenge's return... (follow the deliciously spilling tidbits of "Nolan" (aka Gabriel Mann) on twitter @Gabriel_Mann)

And if you haven't heard of BunHeads and plan on doing anything at all with teen/dramedy/anything Gilmore Girls like--please find this show!  Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop together are a wonder.

Now must go schedule in a Parenthood viewing (I am a parent, after all--and I love me my Lauren Graham, Peter Krause, Jason Ritter--shout out to Joan of Arcadia fans!--, and now Ray Romano...)

Bonus for anyone reading the blog: send my your emmy picks...Whoever picks the most winners   (must send me your picks at sross@colum.edu by 9/23 5pm) gets lunch with the Acting Chair at Flacos Tacos in October... (alums included...)

S

ps--the Portfolio Center has Turner Broadcasting coming in early October--look for more and flyers and such soon as we get the deets



No comments:

Post a Comment